arpaiu is the local name of a tiny site characterized by an amazing sea view dominating the open sea and the 5 Terre coastline, watching over the small Manarola harbour.

The area and its buildings formed the most important part of Manarola Medioeval Castle that has been built in the Xth century and destroyed by an overwhelming battleships fleet from Genova in the XVth century.

Since Castle destruction arpaiu main building stayed in ruins. There was not much left of it, apart from the ground floor thick medioeval dry stone walls and arches, when our family bought and restored it in 1955. Much work was done in order to bring arpaiu back to its original four floor tower-house size.

During 2001 we started a new renovation project that ended in late spring 2003.

All the works have been conceived in order to guarantee the respect of the environment and of the building origins.

In the ground floor "cantina" the stone walls and arch have been left in the way they have been found and only few additions have been made such as:

the kitchen corner
the fire place
the constellation cealing
the kitchen corner
the fire place
the constellation cealing

all upper floors, with the bedrooms, livingroom and terrazza, have been restored according to an ecologically sensitive design, with good care in detailing, combining a creative use of local traditional craftsmanship and materials along with the most advanced and efficient building technology in the belief that through a sensitive design and care in detailing it is possible to ensure people well-being and influence the quality of our lives.

arpaiu
arpaiu
arpaiu